Nope no art today. I know I promised stuff for my buddy Matt’s book, but I caught a bit of a bug that laid me out all Monday and I have been playing catch up ever since.
But Matt put up an interesting post on his blog and I decided to do it here on the Daily Sketch. So, with thanks to Matt, I give you….
The Krayola Kidd’s Top 5 Made-For-TV Horror Movie of the 70s (and early 80s).
I loved all these old films- but some of the ones that stick out in my mind aren’t from the 70s, but they still have that vibe.
5) Dead of Night (1977)- a delightful anthology tells three stories: a man buys a car that takes him back and forth through time; a tale of vampires; and a distraught mother asks for her drowned son to come back to life and gets more than she bargained for.
Directed by Mr. Dan Curtis (the man who gave us Carl Kolchak, David Norliss and Barnabus Collins), with tales from one of my favorite scribes Richard Matheson. Watch the commercial HERE.
4) The Intruder Within (1981)- I know not from the 70s, but it has the vibe. Basically it is an Alien rip-off but I really liked the movie- all atmosphere for the terror, not special effects. It is the story of drillers on an oil rig near Antarctica discover that they accidentaly brought up several prehistoric eggs. One egg hatches and becomes an unstoppable creature. It was also know as The Lucifer Rig in some places (like Canada, were it also got a theatrical release). Watch the trailer HERE.
3) Satan’s Triangle (1975)- A fun tale of terror lost on a mysterious island in the Bermuda Triangle. This one plays into two of my favorite themes- spooky jive and lost world tales. Starring Kim Novak and Doug McClure. Narrated by the great Rod Serling it is the tale of a survivor of a shipwreck and two Coast Guard helicopter pilots sent to rescue her find themselves trapped in a mysterious part of the ocean known as Satan’s Triangle. HERE is a clip.
2) Something Evil (1972)- This is a great one. do yourself a favor and see if you can find it. Directed by a young Steven Spielberg it is the story of a young couple that moves into a farmhouse in rural Pennsylvania. What they don’t know is that there is an unseen presence in the house, and that it wants to take possession of the wife. Starring Ol’ Kolchak himself Darrin McGavin. Watch the trailer for this HERE.
1) Baffled! (1973)- I am not even sure if this ever aired, but I believe it did. It was the pilot for a series starring Leonard Nimoy and Susan Hampshire. In this fantastic gem (no really, I love this movie)- Nimoy plays Tom Kovak a world famous formula race car driver who also happens to be….a swingin’ playboy psychic! (I know gold right?). After having a “vision” during a race, Kovack and his new gal Friday, Hampshire’s Michele Brent, then chases a beautiful movie actress to London and get tangled up in a dark Satanic mystery. Only the pilot for this was filmed and the network, like idjits, didn’t pick it up. WHY? I don’t know, maybe becasue they were IDJITS. Watch the opening credits HERE.
Click HERE to read Matt’s Top 5 list.
Later, and Happy Halloween